Alas, 2012 is coming to an end. I kind of can't believe it, but at the same time I feel like I'm a different person than I was 12 months ago, so I guess it really did happen. In the spirit of Liz Lemon [the spirit in which I try to do most things], I thought I'd do a 12-month wrap-up (wrap wrap wrap up).
To save you some time reading hundreds of parenthetical side notes and rambling sentences, I thought the best way to approach this would be in list-form.
Especially since you are likely on vacation, and really, who wants to wade through a bunch of nostalgic blubberings when they're on vacation?
And I like you. And I want you to read the things I write. So it only seems fair.
AHEM. Right, the lists were to prevent me from rambling. So HERE WE GO.
Things I learned in 2012:
- People really like their bacon.
- Having a community of people you trust is of the utmost importance in order to get through life.
- It's possible to walk through something difficult and come out on the other side, because God is faithful.
- I'm actually pretty ok at this whole writing thing.
- At least two people on the planet think I am good enough at writing to pay me to do it, which is amazing.
- The term "selfies."
- Two-year-olds are my favorite age group.
- Marriage isn't always easy, but it's worth it 100 times over.
- I don't actually like Starbucks' pumpkin spice lattes.
- Just as many people can't stop watching House Hunters as me.
- A lot about my identity and living free from expectations of others.
- The title for The Worst Person Ever is a close call between Lindsay Lohan and Chris Brown.
- I am capable of loving a cat. Like, a lot.
- Podcasts are a great way to pass time and be entertained without crashing your car or falling off a treadmill. Also they are FREE. (I recommend The Courtesy Laugh, Nerdist and Xtra Bacon)
Books I read in 2012:
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
- Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
- The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) - Mindy Kaling
- Every Bush is Burning - Brandon Clements
- The Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer
- Purity - Jackson Pearce
- Bird by Bird - Anne Lamott
- On The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness - Andrew Peterson
- North! Or Be Eaten - Andrew Peterson
- The Monster in the Hollows - Andrew Peterson
[currently brushing my shoulder off]
I've always been bad at finishing books, so one of my finish year goals was to finish the Harry Potter series and read two additional books. That list has 14 books on it. WHAT UP BOOKS. Come at me, bro.
By the way, I highly recommend all of the above.
Writery and/or Internet-y Things I did in 2012:
- Wrote an ebook.
- Got this whole blog thing rollin'.
- Made friends on Twitter (it's not weird, okay?)
- Guest posted.
- Talked about TV a lot.
- Tweeted even more than that.
- Did my first freelance writing and editing work.
Overall it's been a year filled with highs and lows--like every year I suppose--but I think even though the lows were lower, the highs were much higher. I think that's the way it's supposed to be, anyway.
I learned a lot about myself and accomplished a lot in the way of pursuing writing, which I'm proud of.
Dang. This post was still really long. If you made it this far, congratulations! If I could I would send you all emoji stars and smiley faces for days. [side note: I just enabled emojis on my phone.]
Happy new year, everyone!
What did you do this year?